So I guess the stress of job searching and Wedding planning is really getting to me. I'm in the middle of my third cold of the summer.... summer! Well, okay, tomorrow it's technically Fall but still, I'm done with the sickness!
So today I'm kicking this cold in it's rear end! First I started my day with my Shakeology superfood. Vanilla Shakeology a whole peach and coconut milk! On top of the health benifits of Shakeology (Lean more about Shakeology) eating peaches means fulfilling 19 percent of your daily requirement of vitamin C. Peaches are good source of vitamin C, which help to enhance the resistance of the body by combating free radicals. Vitamin A in peaches plays a role in immune function.
* Note the sad, I'm sick, face
So about the soup.. every time Jamie and I are under the weather we always want Chinese soup. He's a Hot and Sour fan and I usually get Wonton. Well as delicious as those are, we really don't know what we're getting and they are loaded with sodium. Blah. This soup is loaded with ginger, garlic and just spicy enough to help you breath easier with out setting your mouth on fire.
Garlic has anti-bacterial properties that help the immune system to fight infection, it is an excellent boost to the immune system. Ginger is another of natures' antiviral herbs. It contains nearly a dozen antiviral compounds. Ginger is pain relieving, antiseptic and antioxidant. It is valuable for preventing and treating colds, sore throats and inflammation of mucus membranes
Mucus membranes.. that's what you want to read right before a recipe.... anyway here ya go!
INGREDIENTS
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice or riced Cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon Coconut Aminos ( buy on Amazon but I found it at the local Giant Eagle Market District)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1-2 teaspoons hot chile paste or hot chile sauce
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken (You can boil chicken for about 15 mins if you don't have any on hand)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- *toast in a dry pan for 4-5 mins until you start to smell them and they are slightly brown
Cast of Characters:
You can find these ingredients at your local supermarket, in fact, I found some of them at Target!
Peel and finely grate the ginger and garlic:
.
![]() |
Best way to peel ginger?? Just use a spoon! Just the skin will come off and it's much less of a hassle than a vegetable peeler.

* Tip if you have garlicy smelly hands rub your hand on the bottom of your clean sick, the stainless steel counter acts the effects of the garlic... humm wonder if that would help Vampires..... (I miss Eric Northman)
Combine broth, garlic and ginger in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil over high heat. Once this gets going your kitchen will fill up with warm gingery smell that will already make you start to feel better!
Add rice or riced cauliflower, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the rice / cauliflower is tender, 12 to 15 minutes. ( I have a great tip for making riced cauliflower that I will be sharing!)
Stir in Coconut Aminos and sesame oil (this has a really strong flavor, try a 1/2 teaspoon first and taste; add chile paste (or sauce) to taste I used 3 teaspoons and it was fine for me.
Combine broth, garlic and ginger in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil over high heat. Once this gets going your kitchen will fill up with warm gingery smell that will already make you start to feel better!
Add rice or riced cauliflower, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the rice / cauliflower is tender, 12 to 15 minutes. ( I have a great tip for making riced cauliflower that I will be sharing!)
Stir in Coconut Aminos and sesame oil (this has a really strong flavor, try a 1/2 teaspoon first and taste; add chile paste (or sauce) to taste I used 3 teaspoons and it was fine for me.
Add chicken and heat through.
Once it's ready garnish with the sesame seeds and green onions if you have any.. I didn't. Then sit down and enjoy, you'll immediately feel your head clearing up and the warmth of the ginger filling up your belly!
![]() |
| Enjoy, and feel better! |











No comments:
Post a Comment